RSS

Sloppy Joes


I've completely skipped my post on pulled pork sandwiches - but I will get to that soon. Instead, I will share tonight's magical creation - Pizza Joes!

Sloppy Joes are easy and cheap to make. All you need is some ground meat, tomato sauce, seasonings, and a bun/bread to put it on. You can use ground beef, ground pork, or any combination of the two (probably even ground chicken/turkey, though I haven't tried this).  You can use any kind of bread you think can hold it, but my favorite is my homemade hamburger buns. You can use any kind of tomato sauce and spice it up with whatever you have around. Tonight it was pizza-themed.

This is what I did tonight:

Step 1:  Defrost 1/2 lb ground pork in micro (well, it was actually 9oz), while this is defrosting finely chop half an onion, half a green pepper, and a few pepperonis (5 or 6 1-in rounds).
Step 2:  Brown meat, veggies, and pepperoni in a skillet on med/med-hi.  When everything's cooked, drain the grease/liquids.
Step 3:  Add tomato sauce to cover. I used plain, thick pasta sauce.  You just want enough to coat everything. If it's too runny you'll have quite a mess on your hands... in your hands... on your shirt... in your lap...
Step 4:  Let it simmer a little while - let it thicken a bit and let flavors distribute. You know... just a bit. Cover it if your sauce is thick enough, or leave it uncovered if you want to thicken it.
Step 5:  Put that stuff on a bun! I carefully placed a couple large spoonfuls onto a bun and topped it with a little mozarella. Deeeeelicious.

Of course, you don't need the cheese. You don't need the pepperoni. You don't even need the green pepper. You can use beef or pork. You can add basil/oregano or red chili flakes. Or your favorite hotsauce. You can do whatever you like to this, really. Whatever tastes good to you. And it's cheap, here's a breakdown:

Cost Breakdown (For a plain Sloppy Joe, not the pizza version)
Buns                               $1.25
Ground Pork  (1/2lb)      $0.50
Tomato Sauce                $0.60
Total:                   $2.35
(Made 5)

This price breakdown is based on using 5 buns purchased at $2 for 8 (though I used my homemade version, this is what I would pay at the store for buns), ground pork $1/lb using 1/2 lb, tomato sauce $1.25 for a can using 1/2 of a can at most.  
My pizza version also used cheese and pepperonis - a very small amount of each.  We bought a pepperoni for $3 which we sliced and froze - it filled a med. ziploc bag... I only used 5 slices.  Cheese was purchased at $4.25 for 900g and I used maybe 50g? So, maybe $.25 in cheese and $.15 for pepperoni (this is a wild guess). So, guessing about $.40-$.50 more for the pizza version. Still under $3 total.  Don't forget to serve with some veggies!

Post a Comment

DML. Powered by Blogger.